Last week I took a road trip, and any time I travel I always want extra space in my bag(s) for any necessities that I decide have come home with me...so I try to pack light(ish). Light is a relative term, but I do try to keep it to the basic "needs" rather than stuffing a bunch of random things in my bag that never get used. Hairdryers for instance - I use the one at the hotel (most hotels supply them these days). I pre-plan outfits, check weather, and try to pack one or two extras in case things change. Make sure you actually count the number of days you will be gone though - somehow I missed a day this trip and ended up an outfit short. Good thing I was shopping!
For my makeup, I have one rule: take products that I know work. I also try to save small samples for travel because it takes up less space!
- I try to pack brushes that work for several things - this time I took the Urban Decay doubled ended brush that came with the Naked 3 palette and the small blending brush (similar here).
- Lorac Behind the Scenes eye primer (trial size) - it works, and it's small.
- L'Oreal Infalliable Liner because it's tried and true.
- Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara for upper lashes (favorite).
- It Cosmetics Tightline for lower lashes and tightlining. It. Stays. Put.
- Tarte Clean Slate Poreless primer. I wouldn't call it a favorite, but it works fine, and I know what to expect.
- Beauty Blender - I can apply foundation with the large end and concealer with the small point. Double duty, and it packs well!
- Cover Girl Ready Set Gorgeous foundation...my current favorite. Great coverage, no fuss.
- MAC Pro Longwear Concealer. New purchase, but outstanding coverage. It doubles as a highlight.
- NYX Cream Blush. I like traveling with a cream blush because I know it will stay put and it won't break up if I drop my bag!
- The stippling brush by Real Techniques is perfect for applying cream blushes.
- Finally, to set everything, I pack my small Real Techniques setting brush and a trial size of the Bare Minerals Mineral Veil. I primarily use this under my eyes or in my t-zone for shine control.
Looking at the list, it seams like a lot, but in reality I may not use every item. I pack these knowing that I can achieve a full coverage look or keep it simple. Best part? These things don't take up much room...so I have more space in my suitcase for shoes. :)
Shop The Products: